Self-Ligating Braces for that Unmatched Smile
The Self Ligating Braces were introduced in the field of Dentistry a few decades back. The Clear Self Ligating Braces also known as the Damon braces came up as an upgraded version of the traditional braces that had been used for a long time to improve the placement of teeth, give proper spacing between teeth and remove any bad bite.
How do Braces Work?
The braces work on a simple technique. Brackets which are small fixtures are attached to the teeth. A thin wire made up of metal passes these brackets. This is called the archwire. It is the archwire that is gradually adjusted according to the requirement for the positioning of the teeth. It is used to apply appropriate force, and to put them in the correct position.
It is the archwire that is the key controlling factor. The archwire is adjusted time and again by the dentist to keep the teeth in place and improve the placement of the entire jawline.
Earlier the old traditional braces were used for a quite long time. They used elastic bands or metal ties. The elastic ties in the traditional braces keep the archwire or the aligning wires in place. This setup has to be maintained by the dentist every 4 to 6 weeks.
Clear Self-Ligating Braces or the Damon Braces
The complete system of traditional braces changed when clear self-ligating braces were introduced in the field of dentistry. The Damon Self-ligating braces have a built-in system to keep the archwire safe and secure in the brackets. These self-ligating braces have been designed in a way that the wire need not be adjusted frequently by the dentist. Hence the name self-ligating brackets seem correct for them.
Ligature: The Self-ligating braces are a complete unit in themselves. The Elastic bands or metal ties of small size are applied to the brackets. These bands are placed in the bracket to keep the archwire in place.
Types of Ligating Braces
Self-ligating braces primarily consist of two types of self-ligating brackets. Both types of brackets use a small door or gate-like mechanism to close the bracket.
The two types are: Active and Passive.
- Active brackets: In active brackets press direct force is applied against the archwire to keep it in place by the brackets. It uses the sliding spring clip mechanism.
- Passive brackets: They do not apply direct force on the archwire rather they use a simple sliding mechanism.
The Comfort of Damon Braces
The Damon braces have been reported as more simple and easy to maintain. Many patients have suggested that they are easier to use and have caused less discomfort while using them. It is a boon for teenagers and youngsters who are even more conscious about their looks. One thing to be kept in mind while using the Clear Self-ligating braces is to maintain good oral hygiene.
Keeping Self-Ligating Braces in Place
The self-ligating braces also need adjustment from time to time to alter the placement of the archwire and the amount of force being applied to the teeth to keep them in the appropriate place and shape. But the good part is the Self-Ligating Damon Braces require less adjustment than the traditional ones. Hence there are lesser visits to the dentist.
Benefits of Self-Ligating Braces
- Easy to Use: As per several research conducted, Damon Braces have been found easy to use and more comfortable compared to traditional braces.
- Less & shorter visits to Orthodontist: It has been found that in the case of traditional braces, the orthodontist has to adjust every ligature to place it perfectly from time to time. This is not the case with Damon Braces. Fixing Self-ligating braces requires less time. The number of visits required for the adjustment of traditional braces is more than the Self Ligating braces. Hence using self-ligating braces saves a lot of time and energy.
- Easier to Maintain: in the case of traditional ligatures, a lot of food particles are in and around the brackets. This requires frequent cleaning and maintenance. But the similar is not the case with self-ligating braces. They are a lot easier to clean and maintain.
Risks with Self-Ligating Braces
The self-ligating braces come with a bunch of benefits but like all scientific inventions, they have their cons too. Opening and closing of self-ligating brackets may lead to wear and tear thus causing bracelet failure. So one has to be a little more careful while using and getting them fixed.
In case a situation comes where the bracket has to be replaced, long appointments will be required with the orthodontist to get them changed. The duration will increase resulting in higher treatment time for the entire procedure.
Self-ligating braces similar to traditional braces can cause the following side effects in the mouth of the patient
- Tooth decay: Both types of braces have the tendency to trap food articles. As more and more food articles get trapped and less oral hygiene is maintained there are more chances of tooth decay.
- Reversion: If the patient is not regular with wearing the retainer after the braces are removed, the teeth might go back to the previous state, thus losing the entire benefit of treatment.
Cost of Self-ligating braces
Better Quality comes at a price. The Damon Braces use better technology and therefore are much costlier than the traditional braces. The prices may vary according to the condition of your teeth, the duration of treatment, and the amount of adjustment required. It also differs from one orthodontist to another.
Once you visit the orthodontist they can design the entire treatment plan for you considering the condition of your teeth, oral health and the treatment required. They will also help you get the best payment plan for your treatment.
Final Piece of Advice
The Damon Braces or the Self Ligating braces are the better quality and latest technology-made braces, they are easy to use and easy to maintain. They ensure less number of visits to your orthodontist and that too of less duration compared to the traditional braces. Hence we would advise you to move to this better version if you need braces.